'This phone almost burned my house down,' says Samsung Galaxy S6 owner

DECCAN CHRONICLE.
Published Aug 11, 2017, 10:42 am IST
Updated Aug 11, 2017, 11:07 am IST
Sylvia Adams, of northwest DC, told NBC4 her Galaxy S6 caught fire in her bedroom.
There are still many consumers who have reported that their Samsung-branded smartphones are still experiencing similar problems, wherein their devices’ batteries are overheating and even catching fire in the process. (In image: Galaxy S6 Edge+/Softpedia/Representational image)
 There are still many consumers who have reported that their Samsung-branded smartphones are still experiencing similar problems, wherein their devices’ batteries are overheating and even catching fire in the process. (In image: Galaxy S6 Edge+/Softpedia/Representational image)

Samsung had a particularly unpleasant 2016, evidently due to the Galaxy Note 7 fiasco, wherein hundreds of smartphones caught fire, reportedly due to an issue pertaining to the device’s battery. The extent of the smartphone’s battery problems was such that the South-Korean technology giant had to follow it up with a global recall of millions of Galaxy Note 7 units, ultimately forcing them to take the smartphone off from the listings. The events caused much damage to Samsung’s brand, in terms of consumers relying on the smartphone manufacturer’s future innovations. In short, Samsung wouldn’t want to face something like this ever again.

However, following the incident and subsequent brand-fixing activities carried out by the firm, there are still many consumers who have reported that their Samsung-branded smartphones are experiencing similar problems, wherein their devices’ batteries are overheating and even catching fire in the process.

 

On a similar note, a North-West DC-resident, Sylvia Adams recently told NBC4 that her Samsung Galaxy S6 had caught fire in her bedroom. “I was talking on the house phone and then all of a sudden, I heard this sizzle and then I looked and I saw flames,” she said. She revealed the burn marks that the explosion had left on her blanked, top sheet, fitted sheet and mattress. The woman tried knocking the device off her bed, which ended up burning her hardwood floor as well. “This phone almost burned my house down,” she claimed.

What’s especially surprising about this particular case is the fact that Samsung hadn’t even listed the Galaxy S6 smartphone in its recall list. Therefore, this further goes on to suggest that the issue is not only pertaining to Galaxy Note 7 units, but many of the other Samsung-branded smartphones that come packed with lithium-ion batteries which get easily overheated, and ultimately catch fire.

“Immediately I called Samsung,” Adams said. “Then I called you all,” Adams told NBC4. The company was quick at responding to her complaint, as a free replacement was immediately provided to her.

This isn’t the first time that Galaxy S6 smartphone has caught fire. Previously, as listed on SaferProducts.gov, there have similar multiple reports about Galaxy S6 smartphones catching fire. Users have complained about the device catching fire, while charging. Samsung’s Galaxy S7 Edge has also made it to reports, for bursting into sparks and flames by its users. This is particularly worrisome because Samsung has made an official statement, suggesting that no other of its smartphones have any battery issues, or other bigger problems that might end up in such consequences.

“Samsung stands behind the quality and safety of the more than 10 million Galaxy S6 family phones in the US,” a Samsung spokesperson said in a statement. “We have reached out to Ms. Adams to retrieve the device and learn more about what happened. Until Samsung is able to obtain and examine any device, it is impossible to determine the true cause of any incident. Mobile phones are complex devices and there are many factors that could contribute to their malfunction. Any customer who has questions or experiences an issue with a Samsung product should contact us directly at 1-800-Samsung."





ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT