Just when we thought we could put the whole Note 7 fiasco in the history books and never look back, a new report a emerged pointing towards a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge which caught fire in the middle of the night.
According to a report from Idaho Statesman, the phone was being charged using Samsung’s wireless charger, and by the looks of it, it all started from the battery unit, which is believed to have overheated in typical Galaxy Note 7 fashion.
Tony Morgan and his wife Theresa were sleeping in their bedroom when Tony’s S7 Edge exploded at 4.30 AM on June 25.
“It’s like a gun went off inside,” Theresa Morgan, who also has a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, explained. “We thought we saw smoke coming from behind the nightstand so I pulled it out and discovered that it was my phone. The phone was smoldering. I had to grab a towel to remove it because it was also melting and oozing some type of a chemical,” her husband continued.
The man grabbed the phone to get it outside on the porch, explaining that the device was “oozing black goo and something came out of the battery” with a “pretty bad smell.”
Morgan, a software engineer by profession, says neither of the two Galaxy S7 Edge units in the house ever experienced a problem. The explosion however destroyed the charger and left big burn marks on the nightstand.
While such damages could reach compensation amounts of close to thousands of dollars, Samsung only paid $944 to the Idaho man in order to cover the cost of the phone with Verizon and the amount left on the contract. Furthermore, Samsung offered to repair his nightstand after the explosion destroyed it....