New Delhi: Pakistan said here on Thursday that the comprehensive bilateral dialogue with India stands “suspended” for now. Pakistan high commissioner Abdul Basit, at an interaction with reporters in Delhi, said in response to a question it was his “sense” that the dialogue process with India had been “suspended”.
Mr Basit said: “We would like to have a meaningful dialogue. But if India is not yet ready, we can always wait. Because as far as Pakistan is concerned, we consider the dialogue process important to resolve our problems. It is not a favour by one country to another. So we will wait and see how India evolves its position on the dialogue process itself.”
Pakistan also indicated there may be no reciprocity for India after the JIT’s visit, meaning a reciprocal visit by a team of India’s NIA to Pakistan to probe the Pathankot atttack may not be permitted. “I personally feel this whole investigation is not about a question of reciprocity. It is more about extending cooperation. It is not a question of reciprocity,” Mr Basit said.
India reacted later, noting the Pakistan foreign ministry spokesperson’s own comment that “both countries are in contact with each other” and that “modalities (for the comprehensive bilateral talks) are being worked out”.
Experts feel that India’s external affairs ministry, by its statement, may be trying to hint at a divergence of opinion between Mr Basit, who some believe is the Army’s nominee, and the foreign ministry that works under Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, on the issue of talks.
January: JeM terrorists attack Pathankot airbase on the intervening night of January 1 and 2. The gun-battle which lasted for 80 hours left seven security men dead
March: A JIT from Pakistan visited Pathankot. It was alleged that an ISI officer was part of the joint probe team
April: Pakistan media on April 5 reports that the Pathankot terror attack was ‘stage-managed’ by India...