IIT Hyderabad graduate ends life in US

Shivakaran had gone to the US in August 2015 for higher studies.
Hyderabad: A 24 year-old student from the city pursuing his masters in North Carolina State University in the USA committed suicide on Thursday evening. The body of Bandi Shivakaran, a native of Ramanthapur, was found hanging in his flat in the US. Shivakaran, an alumnus of IIT Hyderabad, flew to the US in August 2015 for higher studies. He had rejected a Rs 18 lakh offer from TCS to pursue higher education. His family could not afford his study abroad and his uncles mortgaged their properties to help him.
His family said he had taken a break after the first semester and was planning to come home for a vacation. Shivakaran was the elder son of B. Umashankar, a pharmacist at a government hospital in RC Puram, and Padma, a home-maker. His younger brother B. Shashidhar is doing his CA.
Shivakaran had completed his schooling from Johnson Grammar High School in Habsiguda. “We told him to opt for a job, but he refused saying that he would only gain experience if he starts working. But by completing his MS, he would have a better future,” said his maternal uncle P. Mallikarjun.
He added that Shivakiran was staying in the flat with two Chinese students from the same university. Till last month, he was working part-time for a mobile store. As a result of this, he developed back pain for which he was being treated.
Due to this he could not perform well in the semester examination and took a break from the University. “He always wanted to be top in the field he was and he did it. But may be the low grade in the semester exams had an effect on him.” said another uncle, Mr P. Shiva Prasad.
On Thursday, Mr Mallikarjun spoke to him over skype, during which he observed that he has become very weak and advised him to come home and return if he wishes. “ Our concern was only his health. When I told him to come back, he said he took a break and will be coming very soon. Rs 10 lakh which he paid as fee for second semester also was credited back into his account after he took break.” added Mr Mallikarjun.
However, they did not inform his parents about his death and consoling them saying that he is admitted in hospital due to some sickness. “We have been contacting ministers also to get his body at the earliest. But our worry is how to inform the same to his parents.” he added.