IITians, college students pitch in

rom dipping into their savings to flood contributions to distributing materials, they have been at the forefront of relief work.
Chennai: As the floods devastated the city, youngsters from various colleges rose to the occasion and volunteered for relief work. From dipping into their savings to flood contributions to distributing materials, they have been at the forefront of relief work.
Students of IIT Madras with the help of the NSS distributed food, water, blankets and clothing to flood victims. Similarly students from Hindustan University and Madras University helped victims by collecting cash and other requirements.
Yashvini Rajeshwar a fifth year MA development studies student of IIT Madras, who was the coordinator said that a team of 15 people was the core coordinator and around 200 plus volunteers participated in relief work. She said, “ A majority of our relief work focused on distribution of supplies through donation in kind. We focused on bread, biscuits and other packaged food, clothes, water, blankets and raw cooking materials along with medicines for camps.”
The IIT students were able to impact around 20 areas in the city as well as parts of Cuddalore and Tiruvallur. The efforts were conducted through the NSS. Similarly students from Madras University and Hindustan University formed a group to help the flood victims. Vikash Pandey, a third year EEE student of Hindustan University, said that they were able to reach more than 15,000 flood victims.
“We distributed around one lakh chappatis and dosa batter to people who were marooned. There was a lot of help from corporates. We were like delivery guys. The college provided us vehicles to distribute the relief. At some places we had to wade through water,” he said.
Dr Sherin, head of the department of languages who was in charge, said that a group named as Hindustan relief for Chennai, was formed.
“Around 500 to 600 students volunteered. We also distributed sanitary napkins, tetra packs and candles apart from food packets,” she said. According to a Madras university student, they formed a group of 30 students, collected around Rs 7,000 and distributed food materials, toothbrushes, mosquito repellents and other basic needs.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.