Compulsory Tamil: Consider plea of students, says Madras High Court

The Rules for the Act 13 of 2006, making Tamil as the compulsory first language in schools, was brought into force only in 2012
Chennai: The Madras high court has directed the government to consider liberally the plea of students who want to opt out from the rule stipulating Tamil as the compulsory first language in schools.
The first bench of Chief Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Justice Pushpa Sathyanarayana gave the direction while disposing of a batch of writ petitions challenging the TN Tamil Learning Act of 2006. The Rules for the Act 13 of 2006, making Tamil as the compulsory first language in schools, was brought into force only in 2012.
The bench said the issue relates to the fate of the students, who should not suffer, a liberal approach is mandatorily required, especially at the inception stage of introduction of the scheme, to ensure that students do not face any harassment. The bench, which has granted two more weeks to the students who have not yet applied, directed the competent authority to deal with the applications in six weeks.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.