Kozhikode youngsters fall prey to hard drugs

Police crackdown fails to trap main agents
KOZHIKODE: With alcohol becoming difficult to buy, youngsters in the city are increasingly turning to hard drugs and psychotropic substances.
Vacant spots in the city are now frequented by these youths where they ‘relax’ with a drug of their choice. Though the police manage to crack down regularly on the retail network of drug peddlers, the main agents still remain at large and lure fresh retailers, including students to the trade.
Youngsters, mainly school children and college students, are now addicted mainly to Ganja. When they find it less rewarding, they turn to hard drugs like hashish or heroin.
Prescription drugs are also a big hit among students, who mindlessly pop in dangerous painkillers and other pills to get that extra kick.
“I used to consume such drugs inside classrooms and the school compound. First it was fun and soon it became a necessity. I almost lost myself before my parents got to know about my habits. Luckily, I could come out of it now and have vowed not to touch them again. Getting the drugs in Kozhikode is not at all a problem and there are several agents lurking everywhere to trap prospective clients,” Ratheesh Kumar (name changed), a 17-year-old youth who quit the habit recently told DC.
Ganja is being delivered at a place of their choice whereas hashish and heroin can be purchased on the streets. There are several pick-up points in the city for consumers who want to purchase the drugs. A long time customer brings in new ones to the agent and it is hard for a newcomer to get the drugs without the support of an existing user.
“It is like a network. If there is one student who is an addict, he brings in more of his friends. We hear of arrests of peddlers in the city but I have seen that the supply never ceases even after so many arrests,” another student said.
Excise and police officials admit that the main agents behind such drug smuggling rackets remain at large. Many such syndicates are operating out of Bangalore, Bombay and Goa.
“The retailers only know about the person who supplies them with the stuff. It is hard to get to these suppliers and even when we manage to reach them, there is usually another agent who supplied the drugs to them. It is a big chain and unless we get to the main guy at the top, it is difficult to stop the supply,” a senior police official said.

Download the all new Deccan Chronicle app for Android and iOS to stay up-to-date with latest headlines and news stories in politics, entertainment, sports, technology, business and much more from India and around the world.