Bengaluru: Students collect 294 kg e-waste for recycling

The e-waste included UPS, keyboards, batteries, CD discs, modems etc.

BENGALURU: In a bid to encourage and save environment from the toxic hazards of ill-disposal of electronic waste, Trio World Academy and BinBag organised an E-waste collection and awareness drive inviting responsible citizens to dispose their e-waste accountably.

Around 294 kgs of e-waste was collected, out of which the children made a tree, a few structures resembling animals. Some of the e-waste included UPS, keyboards, batteries, CD discs, water purifier, telephone handsets, modems, cell phone, iron and electric trimmer. The drive attracted citizens and general public drop in at the Academy premises to dispose their waste in a temporarily installed bin.

K.M. Naveen, MD, Trio World Academy, said, “Through this initiative we wanted to spread awareness on the dangers of reprehensible disposal of electronic waste generated around us. We want to make our surroundings environmentally safe and this is a first step. Over a period of a month, the students have studied the entire process of waste generation and disposal in the campus and learnt about the people who do it and where the accumulated waste goes”.

BinBag began teaching the students at TRIO about electronic waste recycling, environmental impact and responsible disposal in September. The students were then divided into groups and assigned tasks. They identified local recyclers, studied waste disposal at Sahakarnagar, conducted drives in the neighbourhood and educated people about collecting and recycling e-waste.