Physicist elected HCU union president

SFI also won the posts with large margins

Hyderabad: The SFI-led coalition swept the students union elections at University of Hyderabad Friday wherein a physicist has been named the union president. The coalition includes SFI, the Tribal Students Forum and Dalit Students Union which together won all the posts for which polls were held Thursday.

Zuhail KP, a PhD Physics scholar was elected as president, Mudavath Venkatesh, PhD Telugu scholar as vice president, Raju Kumar Sahu of MCA as general secretary, C Srilatha of M.Phil Telugu as cultural secretary, P Sandeep Kumar of MA Political Science as sports secretary and N Siva Durga Rao of Economics as joint secretary. Aleena Sebastian, Sana Fathima and Aritra Saha of the alliance were elected unopposed as GSCASH members.

Speaking to Deccan Chronicle, Zuhail said, “My first priority would be to ensure that there is a student member in the Administrative Committee which takes important decisions on the university’s functioning. We will also oppose police presence on the campus and work for ensuring that extra-numeral seats are separately allotted and are not drawn from regular seats. We will also work to ensure that central and state scholarships which are given very late every year to research scholars are disbursed on time."

The main rivals to the SFI-led coalition were the United Democratic Alliance led by the Ambedkar Students Association and Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad. SFI also won the posts with large margins.