Suspensions follow beef fest in Kottayam

Ten SFI activists were suspended from the college

Kottayam/Thrissur: The principal of the CMS College, Kottayam, escaped with beef curry on his shirt during a scuffle with the SFI students who tri-ed to conduct a beef festival on the campus on We-dnesday. Principal Roy Sam Daniel, who objected to the distribution of beef curry by the students, was pushed aside by the activists who poured the curry on his shirt, it is alleged. In the ensuing sc-uffle, the entire beef curry got spilled on the floor.

Ten SFI activists were suspended from the college following the incident. The beef fest was organised by some 20 students in protest against the lynching of a person for eating beef at Dadri in Uttar Pradesh recently. Though the police were called in, the principal didn’t register any complaint, said sources.

“We had decided not to allow the protest as it would have spoiled the peaceful atmosphere in the college. While I was trying to prevent them from distributing the beef curry, some students pus-hed me aside and even po-ured the curry over my shirt,” the principal said.

The SFI activists told DC that the principal kicked the prepared beef curry. ABVP state joint secretary Krishnaraj said that they had not taken any decision to stop the beef fest.

Facebook row: The Facebook beef controversy triggered by Ms Deepa Nishanth, assistant professor at Sree Kerala Varma College, Thrissur, may blow over with her submitting an explanation to the college principal on her post in support of the ‘beef fest’ conducted by the SFI on the college campus last week.

She said that her comment was not against the rules and regulations of the college, but on the nation-wide controversy on the beef ban. She did not intend to overlook the norms of the college, she added.

Her explanation has been forwarded to the secretary of the Cochin Devaswom Board (CDB). CDB president P. Bhaskaran Nair told Deccan Chronicle that he was yet to go through the explanation and most probably would take a decision on the allegations against the professor on Thursday.

Meanwhile, those among the alumni of the college, who have come out in support of Ms Deepa, will hold a meeting in front of the college on Friday to express their solidarity with the professor.