Unable to pay fees, boy attempts suicide in Telangana

Inter student jumps from hostel building, both legs fractured

Hyderabad: A Second Year Intermediate student of Narayana Junior College in Bongulur village in Adibatla area attempted suicide on Saturday afternoon by jumping from the second floor of the college hostel.

The incident comes on the heels of the suicide of an SSC student at Karimnagar due to pressure from the school over pending fees.

As per sources, S. Pavan Kumar too was allegedly under pressure from the hostel authorities for his academic performance and pending fees. The boy, who broke his both legs, is undergoing treatment.

Kumar is a native of Hasanparthy mandal in Warangal district. His father, Mr Ramchandra Naik, is a driver. He is studying Second Year MPC.

After lunch on Saturday, Kumar went to the second floor of the building and jumped off, said sources.

It is suspected that he took this step due to pressure from the college authorities to pay the fees. Other students of the hostel also alleged that the college was harassing them to pay their pending fees.

Following the incident, student organisations staged a protest in front of the hostel demanding strict action against the hostel authorities.

“They were pressuring him to perform better and threatened to demote him to a lower section if he did not improve. We have already paid '60,000 of the '80,000 fees,” said Kumar’s father Mr Naik.

College authorities, however, denied putting any pressure on students to pay their fees or any other issues. “There is no pressure on any student on any issue. We allow them to study in an peaceful environment. We insist them to improve their performance, but never pressurise them,” said Narayana Junior College assistant general manager Mr Srinivas Reddy.