University Grants Commission gives diktat to step up student safety

This proposal may result in opposition from student organisations

Thiruvananthapuram: University Grants Commission (UGC) has asked educational institutions across the country to step up the security of students in colleges and hostels.

The UGC directive assumes significance against the backdrop of the incident in which Tasni Basheer, a third-year civil engineering student of the College of Engineering, Trivandrum (CET) died as she was walking towards the hostel when a jeep carrying at least 15 student revelers went out of control and hit her during the Onam celebrations on the campus.

The UGC through the directive has asked institutions to take steps like ensuring boundary walls with sufficient height. They have also insisted on police presence on campus in case of trouble.

This proposal may result in opposition from student organisations. Home minister Ramesh Chennithala had to dilute an earlier proposal of his department for allowing police to raid college campuses even without the permission of the college authorities if they got a complaint, following their opposition.

As per the revised proposal of the home department, police would enter the campus only if college authorities gave a formal request.

The UGC directive also wants at least one woman security personnel at each entry point so that physical security check of girl students or female visitor can be done.

There is also a suggestion for examining the bags and other belongings of students or visitors either manually or by metal detectors.