Unique Madras University courses remain under-utilised

Ashmita Gupta checks out the response to these special courses
Chennai: Another academic year has begun but Madras University is still grappling with the fact that it has been unable to attract enough research students to some of its departments.
The Rajiv Gandhi chair and South and South East Asian studies department have just a couple of students. Students and professors from other departments say these were created for research work but no research work has been published till date.
According to G. Koteswara Prasad, who was the head of the Rajiv Gandhi chair from August 2010 till August 2015, said that in September 2005 the UGC had accorded sanction for the Chair. This was instituted to promote research in areas of contemporary relevance for improving the quality of life. The areas of research included nuclear disarmament and peace studies, impact of Raj systems and local governance and women’s empowerment. Currently no one has been appointed for the Chair.
When it came to funding, he said sufficient funds were not given by UGC. On the contrary, students and other department professors say that around Rs 2 crore had been funded, but still the Chair had not come out with any research work.
Similarly South and South East Asian studies department has only two students for M.phil and Ph.D. Dr S. Manivasakan, Professor and director of Centre for South and Southeast Asian studies, said since the department had only M. Phil and Ph.D courses it had only a few students.
“We don’t have masters courses, so we have less students. "In our department we mainly give inputs to the external affairs ministry. It deals with issues of South East Asian countries, Maldives, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. It is based on performances,” he said.
He further said that this year nearly Rs 35 lakh had been sanctioned till 2019. When asked for research publications, he said that books and journals had been published. But when the university website was referred, the names of two research scholars were available but no journal reference was available.
Oh God! Not many takers for religious studies
Madras University boasts of some unique departments like those pertaining to Vaishnavism, Saiva Sidhanta, Christian Studies, Jainology, Malayalam, Telugu and Islamic studies among others. These subjects were curated as endowment courses offered by religious communities to the university so as to teach the essence of different religions in a scientific way. But over the years, the university has struggled to attract students to some of these courses, most of which were formed from their parent department of philosophy in the early 1980s.
Heads of these departments feel that if government starts bachelor courses, there will be a rise in the number of students in the Masters and M.Phil courses.
Dr. K.Dayanidhi, assistant professor and head of the Vaishnavism department, proudly declares, "In the entire world only Madras University has this department". He lists renowned Chennaiites like Padmashree awardee and founder of Padma Seshadri Bal Bhavan school Rajalakshmi Parthasarathy, social worker Sarojini Varadappan and daughter of former Chief Minister M. Bhaktavatsalam as alumni of the department. “I really want young students to take up this course, as they need to know about Vaishnavism,” he said. This academic session, two students have enrolled in the course after completing their B Com. Last year an 84-year-old student completed his Ph.D on historical developments of Vaishnavism, early Tamil texts in Vaishnavism and hymns of Periyalvar.
Unlike Jainology and Christian studies, which still manage to get around 60 students for its M.A, M.Phil and Ph.D courses combined, Vaishnavism and Saiva Sidhanta gets around 30 to 40 students every year for the same courses. When asked whether these courses can be made job oriented, HoDs of Vaishnavism and Saiva Sidhanta and Jainology said that many students have become lecturers and professors. They can also become religious lecturers in temples. Christian studies however has a wider scope in European countries as well as in India.
“We have several religious endowments like churches and temples. We also have quasi-government structures. Abroad there ample opportunities,” said Dr G. Patrick, professor and head of Christian studies. He added that religious studies are important since it preaches religion in a scientific way so as to help stop religious fanaticism and enlighten students about one’s religion.
Dr Priyadarshini Jain, assistant professor and head of Jainology department, said that they distribute pamphlets and circulate messages in social media such as Facebook and Whatsapp to popularize the course. They also have a Facebook page.