PM Narendra Modi assures release of Telugu professors

PM told the kin of professors that he would take it up with the MEA to speed up the process

Hyderabad: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday assured the safe release of the two Telugu professors, who were abducted by ISIS militants in Libya 12 days ago.

Mr Modi met the wives of the two professors, Ms Sridevi and Ms Kalyani, in Parliament House in Delhi and assured them of all support of the central government to bring back the hostages. Mr Modi told them that he would take it up with the Ministry of External Affairs to speed up the process.

External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj also assured the wives of Prof. Balram and Prof. Gopi Krishna that her ministry was trying all possible ways to get the duo released.

Ms Sridevi and Ms Kalyani were told that since the political situation in Libya was different and the elected government had no power in the area, the Indian government was in talks with the ethnic groups through university officials.

TDP MP Mr Malla Reddy had taken the kin of the professors to Delhi on Monday after getting an appointment with the Prime Minister.

Ms Sridevi and Ms Kalyani, who had met Union minister Venkaiah Naidu, informed that the dean of Sirte University was in touch with the militants.

The dean, Mr Gaddafi, had earlier spoken to Ms Sridevi. “Mr Naidu has called up Sushma Swaraj requesting her to speak to the dean about the matter,” said a relative of Prof. Balram.

The university officials, who were touch with the family members, had suddenly had stopped responding.

Four Indians, who were working in Sirte university, were abducted by IS militants 12 days ago when they were of their way to the airport in Tunisia to catch a flight to India.

Two of them, Karnataka natives, were released the next day. However, the fate of the Telugu duo is still not clear.