Student groups clash in HCU over Yakub Memon’s hanging

Yakub Memon’s hanging triggered protests in the university
Hyderabad: An argument between students of two rival student political organisations, Ambedkar Students Association and Akhila Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad of University of Hyderabad over terror convict Yakub Memon’s hanging led to a midnight drama in which a student was thrashed and as a result ended up in hospital.
Yakub Memon’s hanging triggered protests in the university by ASA whereas the ABVP was in support of the hanging.
In a post on Facebook on Monday late night, N. Susheel Kumar, president of ABVP, called the ASA students ‘goons’ for protesting the death sentence of a terror convict.
Susheel said, “The reference of goons angered ASA students and about 40 of them came knocking on my door in the hostel at around 1 am. After I opened my door they pulled me out and beat me up, mostly punched me in my stomach because of which there are no marks on my body. Later the university’s security also came to the spot but did not help me out.”
Angered at this, ABVP students lodged a police complaint against ASA at Gachibowli police station for confinement and beating. However, no specific names were mentioned in the complaint. The ABVP students also held protests by closing the gates of the university demanding action by the university administration on Tuesday.
One of the students from the university alleged that this was not the first such attack by ASA students as just about a month ago one more student was thrashed and another student threatened before that.
When contacted, the Dean of Students Welfare, P. Prakash Babu said, “An inquiry committee has been formed to look into the matter. Disciplinary action will be initiated once facts are established.”