Help desk at Kozhikode Medical College Hospital to handle patients

CMC students to spend 3 hrs after college

Kozhikode: In the wake of the increasing number of fever cases reported at the Kozhikode Medical College Hospital since May, the doctor-students of the college have come up with a unique project of setting up an exclusive help desk at the outpatient service section of the hospital.

In an attempt to reduce the daily struggle of the doctors in handling the rush from various parts of Malabar region, the house surgeoncy-students of the college will be heading the initiative named ‘Mission CMC’ (Calicut Medical College), where they will be sitting at the causality and also OP for at least 3 hours a day.

At present, more than 2000 patients are being treated at the Kozhikode Medical college hospital everyday and more than 800 patients are being attended to in causality by the limited doctors at the Medical College. “We could see the daily struggle of our doctors here since the number of fever cases, mainly dengue, have increased in the region”, said College Union Chairman Jishad. Hence it was a collective decision to club the house surgeons of the college and allot them in batches to spend their after college hours at the OP, he added.

We have around 230 house surgeons at the college, who are ready to do extra time in tackling the increasing cases of fever in the hospital. An added assistance to the project, will come from MBBS third and fourth year students. “They have assured us that they will spend at least three hours a day at OP or casualty, which will help in reducing the rush”, he explained.

The project that started on Monday was inaugurated by the Medical College principal Dr PV Narayanan. Inaugurating the launch, the Principal appreciated the effort taken by the students union in coordinating the students in tackling the increasing rush of patients.