Karnataka: CET medical aspirants confused over fee structure

Presently deemed universities in the state are charging anywhere between Rs 6 lakhs to Rs 8 lakhs

Bengaluru: What is the fee amount a student needs to pay if he gets a government quota medical seat through the CET in any of the deemed universities of the state? It will be anywhere between Rs 6 to Rs 8 lakhs! This is what the state government order issued on the medical fee structure says.

According to the government order issued on May 30, 2015 on the medical and dental fee structure, students who get government quota seats in any of the private deemed universities through the CET should pay the fee fixed by the university.

Presently deemed universities in the state are charging anywhere between Rs 6 lakhs to Rs 8 lakhs per medical seat. In the first round of the CET seat allotment process, seats from only Nitte University were included. But in the following rounds, seats from other deemed universities are expected to be added as per the agreement signed between the universities and the state government.

Speaking to this newspaper, many students who are eagerly waiting for their medical seats expressed their displeasure over the notification. “When I enquired with the Karnataka Examination Authority (KEA) officials, they informed that the fee for the government quota seats in the deemed universities was just Rs 62,500. But the order copy on fee structure which is now put up on the KEA website (kea.kar.nic.in) says they need to pay the fee fixed by the deemed universities. My parents are not in a position to pay that amount. The government should withdraw the circular,” said Mr. Shambhavi Achar a candidate who is expecting a seat in second round of medical counseling.

But when contacted, KEA officials denied any separate fee structure for students who select government quota seats in the deemed universities. “In the first round we didn't allot any seats in any of the deemed universities. But if seats were added later, the fee would be just Rs 62,500. We are not aware of any circular in this regard.” said a KEA officer.

Protest by CET students

On Monday morning Mysuru Bank circle of the city witnessed a massive jam as there was an abnormal delay in the payment of fees in the SBM branch. But later the problem was rectified.

Meanwhile following complaints from the parents, the last date for payment of fees and taking admission in colleges for Choice-1 students who were allotted seats during the first round of allotment by KEA is extended by one day. Such candidates can take admissions after fee payment up to 5.30 PM on July 1.