Rush for B.Tech seats in Telangana

Management quota seats in some colleges going for Rs 10L

Hyderabad: Uncertainty over the availability of engineering seats in Telangana ahead of Eamcet counselling from June 18 has fuelled the demand for seats in management quota in prominent engineering colleges.

JNTU-Hyderabad is yet to give approvals to colleges. Students who are not sure of getting seats in good colleges due to reports of possible cancellation of approvals for lacking requisite faculty and infrastructure are thus approaching the prominent colleges directly for management quota seats.

With this, B.Tech seats, which did not fetch even Rs 3 lakh last year, are now going for Rs 5 to Rs 10 lakh depending on the college.

Anxious parents who can afford the management quota fees are approaching prominent colleges. Managements too are exploiting this situation to their advantage and demanding huge donations to give admissions on the spot.

“When we approached a college for seat for my daughter in CE in May, they told us to pay Rs 3 lakh. But when we approached last week, they had jacked up the price to Rs 4.80 lakh. They said the TS government was going to cancel approvals to over 100 colleges and there would be a severe shortage of seats. They asked us to pay the amount immediately saying that the demand may go up with each passing day," said Mr V. Subhash Goud from Nizamabad.

Most of the colleges have set up two to three counters in their premises to meet the rush of parents seeking information.

Colleges which record the highest number of campus placements remain the most sought-after among parents. “When we sought a seat in ECE for my son, the college asked us to pay Rs 8 lakh because they had highest campus placements last year. They told us that several of their students had got a pay package of '8 lakh per annum and the donation would be covered by their wards in the very first year of their job,” said parent Ms K. Nirmala.