Newest party, youngest contestant

P. Prakash final year law student will be contesting for Vidiyalai Thedum Indiyarkal Katchi

Chennai: With the number of Independent candidates on the rise in the R.K. Nagar byelection, one candidate who stands out is P. Prakash from Tiruchy. At 29, he is the youngest candidate in the bypoll. Prakash is a final-year student from Tiruchy Law College and also holds an engineering degree from Vickram College of Engineering, Sivagangai. He represents the newly formed party, Vidiyalai Thedum Indiyarkal Katchi, which was started on March 8, 2015.

The party, awaiting recognition by the Election Commission of India, hopes to contest the next general elections.Karthick Raja, another student and president of the party, had contested in the February Srirangam byelections and secured 210 votes.“The party was started as we wanted make a change in society and we figured that it won’t be possible without political help,” said Karthick Raja. The party has the support of students from all colleges and has not approached any other political party for alliance or help.

Talking about his plans for the R.K. Nagar constituency, Prakash said, “I want to stop giving freebies and make people more self-reliant, focusing on things like providing employment and helping them survive on their own. This is much more essential than providing mixer or grinder.”Terming the bypoll as a warm-up exercise, he says that the party’s main focus is the 2016 general elections. “All the other elections are going to be our stepping stones for success,” he says. The party has been campaigning virtually through WhatsApp and Facebook as of now and hopes for support from youths in the elections.med party, Vidiyalai Thedum Indiyarkal Katchi