For school kids, default is digital

Indian school students are rapidly adapting to a digital lifestyle
COIMBATORE: Indian school students are rapidly adapting to a digital lifestyle to succeed in a global economy where the default is digital. This was the clear trend established by the TCS GenY Study 2014-15, conducted by Tata Consultancy Services, (TCS) across 14 cities in India.
Ajoy Mukherjee, EVP & Head of Global HR said, "The need to be constantly aware, always connected and make informed choices is in the basic DNA of the post-millennial students. The TCS GenY Survey findings provide us with essential information to prepare ourselves to provide them with exciting career opportunities."
The findings of TCS GenY Study 2014-15, India's largest survey of over 12,365 high school students across 14 Indian cities, reveal that the 'post-millennial' population is very social by nature and over 75 per cent spend an hour online every day.
However, today's youngsters still consider face-to-face communication as the most preferred way of communicating with friends (36 per cent), though 46 per cent of the respondents said they digitally stayed in touch using video chat. When it comes to instant messaging, WhatsApp is by far the most popular instant messaging platform (58 per cent) followed by SMS (20 per cent).
Desktops or home PCs and laptops are the most popular mode of accessing the internet (55 per cent), followed by smart phones (30 per cent).