Awareness on exam results handling

Chennai police initiative to sensitise class 10, plus 2 students
Chennai: With the board examination results around the corner, Chennai city police, for the first time, began an initiative to sensitise SSLC and plus-2 students as also their parents, so that they do not become victims of anxiety over the results.Women police personnel working in the city police have been requested to distribute handbills in residential areas in and around schools with the help of senior students.
“In the past, there were a few incidents of students taking the extreme step, dejected over the results. So, the initiative was started mainly to sensitise the students and parents. The idea is to drive home the point that there are bigger things to do in life than getting dejected over SSLC and plus-2 results,” said C. Sridhar, joint commissioner of police, east, Chennai.
Though the number of suicides by students in Chennai decreased by 50 per cent last year, compared to the number recorded in the previous year, the police feel that there is a need to sensitise children and their parents. There were at least two cases of suicides by students during examinations this year.
After a round of interaction with students and parents at Otteri, woman inspector S. Neelavathi says that parents are more worried about the results than the students. “The students we met were casual about the results and they were aware of the fact that dejected students commit suicide. We spoke to parents as well and are trying to convey the point that there is no use in scolding their children over bad results,” she pointed out.
The handbill being circulated among residents by the police says, ‘Failure is the first step to success’. “When there is a chance to write the examination again in one month’s time, there is no need to take any kind of extreme step,” the pamphlet adds.