Night patrols by police upset students of Hyderabad University

Students complain that the cops are also indulging in moral policing

Hyderabad: University of Hyderabad students are skeptical about the frequent police patrolling on the campus at night. They are particularly upset as the cops on patrol are allegedly asking students to prove their identity. The students complain that the cops are also indulging in moral policing by ordering the students, boys as well as girls, to return to their hostels if they are seen outside at night.

Student members of the Gender Sensitisation Committee Against Sexual Harassment (GSCASH) have lodged an official complaint about the same with university officials.

Protests were held on Monday by GSCASH representatives supported by students from various political organisations active on the campus. One of the students involved in the protests said, “We have a liberal culture in the University of Hyderabad which we cherish and want to protect. We don’t involve ourselves in illegal activities. In fact, the reading rooms are open 24 hours for the students and there is even a night canteen running in the university for those who stay awake till late.”

One of the female students said, “Police patrolling used to be conducted earlier too, but it was infrequent and students were not questioned or told to go back to hostels. As it is the students do not have a good image of the police and by doing this the police is worsening its image. Some students, especially girls, are now scared.”