Andhra Pradesh decides to hold separate Eamcet

Notification to be issued by next month

Visakhapatnam: Andhra Pradesh has now decided to conduct its own Eamcet. HRD minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao said the decision was taken keeping in view the future of lakhs of students in the state. Also, the schedule of all common entrance tests will be the same, as announced earlier by the AP State Council of Higher Education. Eamcet will be held in AP on May 10, notification for which is likely to be released next month. JNTU Kakinada will conduct the maiden AP Eamcet this year. Telangana state will hold its own Eamcet on May 14, as already announced by the JNTU, Hyderabad.

Mr Srinivasa Rao, while addressing the press on Wednesday, said the AP government considered “the future of students” and decided to convene the exam independently. He added that TS government has refused to consider repeated requests from the AP government for a combined exam and subsequently it had also announced their own date, in contrast to guidelines mentioned in the AP Reorganisation Act.

“We met the Governor in November and December and even in January for an amicable solution. We also wrote to the Centre asking for their intervention. But finally, we decided to conduct our own exam rather that approaching the Apex Court, a move which could delay the process further,” explained the minister.

He said the APSCHE would give separate notifications for all entrance exams. The HRD minister also announced the schedule of various common entrance examinations to be held in May. At the same time, the normalisation process for weightage to determine Eamcet ranks, for the two states is most likely ruled out since the number of subjects in the intermediate and total marks are the same in both states. Notification for the exams is also likely to be issued in the first week of March along with the modalities of exam fee payment.

Mr Srinivasa Rao also said the government is going to present the Pratibha Awards to around 4,000 meritorious students at the SVU campus in Tirupati on February 27.