Two Eamcets, common admission for students of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh

Students in both states will have an option to appear for either state or appear for both

Hyderabad: Ending months of uncertainty, the Telangana and Andhra Pradesh governments have almost reached a consensus on Eamcet and Intermediate exams.
Each state will hold its own Eamcet. Students in the two states will have the option to take the Eamcet of either state or appear for both.

The admissions will be common. Students can claim admissions in 15 per cent open quota in both the states irrespective of which Eamcet they opt for. But no options will be given for the Intermediate exams, which will also be held separately by the respective state boards. Both governments are likely to make an announcement to this effect this week.

Sources said precautions are being taken to ensure that there is a gap of near ly one week between the Eamcet dates of both the states. The AP government which argued for common Eamcet all these days, realised that it would not be possible since TS government was rigid on conducting its own entrance test.

Andhra Pradesh education minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao gave indications of the state conducting its own Eamcet, saying that there is hardly anything Andhra Pradesh can do on the common Eamcet if the Telangana government is unwilling.

The Telangana government had similarly resisted AP’s plan of holding a common exam for Intermediate. AP later agreed to hold its separate exam. Higher education department officials of both the states worked out a plan on separate Eamcet dates after a series of meetings last week and submitted it to respective governments for approval.

“We will give clarity on Eamcet in two days. If TS wants to conduct its own Eamcet, there is little we can do to prevent that. But we still believe that a common Eamcet is beneficial for both the states.”