CBSE honchos resent move to drop entrance

Indira Rajan said such a move would lead to greater imbalances in the educational sector in the state

Kochi: The Kerala CBSE School Managements Association has come out in the open against the state government move to dump the engineering entrance exam and make Plus-Two marks the sole criterion for admission,

In a statement issued after a meeting of the association office-bearers here on Saturday, association general secretary Indira Rajan said such a move would lead to greater imbalances in the educational sector in the state as it would discriminate against CBSE /ICSE students in the state.

Ms Indira Rajan pointed out that the entrance examination was introduced through a High Court order long ago when it was found that admission on the basis of qualifying examination marks alone had its pitfalls.

However, this was diluted a few years ago by adding Plus -Two marks to the score of entrance through a special formula.

“However, this formula is unscientific and the whole system is already disadvantageous to CBSE students,” she said.

She also pointed out that there was no uniform criteria for the evaluation of answer scripts of various boards.

“The Kerala state board students are given special weightage in co-curricular areas in the board exams which works against CBSE students as they don’t have any such privileges,” she said asking the government to make all professional course admissions on the basis of entrance examinations alone.