College student arrested for 'murder' bid

Gang planned to ‘threaten’ husband of girl the youth loved

Chennai: The police on Thursday claimed to have foiled an attempt on a BPO employee’s life in Thiru.Vi.Ka. Nagar after they held four persons, including a school and a college student, during vehicle checks. A team intercepted their bikes and caught them with deadly weapons on Thursday night, the police said. However, the quartet claimed that they only came to threaten the man, the police added.

When they were questioned, the police came to know that college student Praveen Raj (20) was in love with the BPO employee’s wife.The girl lived in the same locality as the youth and was separated from her husband for the past three years, the police said.Praveen Raj wanted to harm the woman’s estranged husband as her family was still trying to reunite her with him, an investigating officer said. Praveen Raj sought the help of his friends Kesavan (21), Mahesh (23) and a 16-year-old boy, a school student of Aynavaram, to ‘warn’ the man. They had watched his activities for about a week, the police said.

When they were about to execute their crime, they landed in the police net. While three of them were remanded in judicial custody, the minor boy was sent to a government home. The Thiru.Vi.Ka. Nagar police are investigating.