Student faces sexist remarks at Kerala University office

Faces offensive moral dressing down at university section

Thiruvananthapuram: Looks like culture-keepers are back to their thing. Nayana, a graduate of physics from the University of Kerala, had to put up with some serious moral dressing down at the Choice Based Credit and Semester System (CBCSS) section of the university office.

And what was the offence she committed? She had the temerity to wear a sleeveless kurta when she went in there! “I’d gone to the university office to enquire about my degree certificate and a woman there at the CBCSS section literally abused me.

She asked me why I was wearing a sleeveless top. Instead of helping me, she was very rude. The others there were also murmuring and I had to leave the place. It was very insulting”, she recalls.

Nayana says she faced a similar situation once when she went to another college in the city with a friend, who was a student there.

“The staff there asked my friend to tell me that my dress was inappropriate, especially on their campus. I was not their student. It’s not like I have to follow their dress code or anything. Still, this was what they had to say”, she says.

“I’m in no position to comment on this particular incident because it hasn’t been brought to my notice yet. But instances like these degrade and question the honour and confidence of any woman.

By no means should they be allowed to pass”, said Mercy Alexander, Director of Sakhi Women’s Resource Centre.

A senior official of the university said: “There’s no dress code for people coming to our office. We are unaware of this incident. But if it has happened, we can definitely take action if the student files a complaint with the Registrar”.

Nayana believes registering a complaint will do no good. “It’s the attitude of people that should change. Even if I file a complaint, there will be no change in the way people treat girls wearing modern clothes”, she said.

At a time when society is striving for progress and women’s empowerment, incidents like these are a let-down. DC requests readers to share their views on this. Please let us know if you have come across similar incidents. You can mail us at deccan.tvm@gmail.com.