Rs 212 crore allocated to improve technical education

Government wants to improve employability of engineering graduates

Hyderabad: Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao wants all engineering students to carry out their final year project work in the industry instead of their college to improve their employability.

The Telangana state government has made a provision of Rs 212 crore Plan outlay in the budget for this fiscal year. Finance minister Etala Rajender said in his speech that the government wants to improve technical education in the state thereby improving the employability of engineering graduates.
Recent surveys have shown that engineering graduates often fall wanting in terms of employability. Many graduates have to fall back on ministers and public representatives for getting them jobs.

Irrigation minister T. Harish Rao recently said, “Half of the grievances we get are from engineers for jobs while the other half is of vigilance cases and only a few genuine cases.” About 52 thousand students have opted for engineering courses in Telangana state this year.

Finance minister Etala Rajender said, “The government is planning to improve the quality of technical education in the state thereby enhancing the employability of students passing out of technical institutions.”

Though no specific allocations have been made, officials indicate that most of the exercise will be post budget.

“CM K. Chandrasekhar Rao is very keen on linking engineering colleges with the industry. He wants engineering students to complete their final year project work in the industry,” remarked a top technical department official.

Officials say various other measures will be taken like evaluation of faculty, special courses to improve employability and so forth. Currently, most engineering students buy project reports from the market at '5 to 6 thousand per project and simply submit it in the college.