Stir after student suicide bid

A depressed Dinesh consumed poison in the early morning of Tuesday
Coimbatore: Students of government arts and science college here staged a road roko in Race Course on Tuesday, after a student of the college attempted suicide in the hostel, the police said.
The Race Course police said Dinesh (19), son of Murugan from Palani taluk in Dindigul district, is studying second-year BBA in the government arts and science college in Coimbatore.
It is alleged that Dinesh was irregular to college and so had lack of attendance this year. Hence, he was not allowed to write the semester examinations.
According to the police, a depressed Dinesh consumed poison in the early morning of Tuesday in the college hostel.
Alert students at the hostel rescued him and admitted him to the Coimbatore medical college and hospital (CMCH). Doctors at the hospital said he was in a stable condition and that they were keeping him under observation.
Following the incident, the students of the college staged a road roko in front of the college hostel, demanding that the college staff allow him to write the examinations. They also demanded action against the college staff. The Race Course police, who rushed to the spot, held talks with the protesting students and assured them of suitable action. Based on their assurance, the students called off the protest.
Principal Kumaresan said Dinesh has only 28 percentage attendance and, hence, was not permitted to write the examinations according to college rules.