Moral police busts Kiss of Love in Hyderabad

HCU students condemned the slapping of girl students on the campus by outsiders

Hyderabad: The University Of Hyderabad’s ‘In solidarity with the Kiss Of Love’ protest had to be called off midway as protesters from the Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha and Akhila Bharat Vidya Parishad barged into the UOH campus late evening and tried to attack the students.

The police had to intervene and force the students from not continuing the event any further.

Suspecting violence on the university campus, there were also plans to cancel the event, but finally all the students went ahead with it.

Some students even kissed midway of the programme to express their support.

One woman ABVP protester, Ms Uma, slapped girl students for taking part in the protest.

Read: Outsiders barged into University of Hyderabad to attack kissers

Over 150 students assembled at the shopping complex inside the campus, where they came out to express and condemn the moral policing act that happened in Kochi.

HCU students condemned the slapping of girl students on the campus by outsiders.

“Many ABVP activists from outside barged into the campus and tried to disrupt the meeting by shouting slogans, recording videos and bad mouthing the students. They were about 20 of them and they started getting violent when some students started kissing in the open. Outsiders have no right to enter the campus or provoke students, especially people who belong to a certain political outfit. They were shouting “BJYM Zindabad” and considering there were over 150 students, we would have easily beaten them up. But our objective was simple that they have no authority to say or intervene. Even the ABVP, HCU Unit, was a part of the protest. We, however, maintained calm and they left the campus,” said a student Prashant.

On October 24, 2014, BJYM, the youth wing of the BJP, was seen vandalising a popular coffee shop named Downtown Cafe near PT Usha road in Calicut, Kerala, allegedly because the cafe was providing youngsters a space for “immoral activities”.

Vincent Binny, president of the UOH Student Union said, “A BJP woman leader slapped our girl students. I condemn this act as we only sit and debate and then they are trying to provoke students by way of moral policing. We students came here only to sit and discuss and because there was provocation, it was stopped midway.”

Vaikhari, another student said, “We have hugged, kissed, talked, discussed, agitated and liberated ourselves in spite of the aggressive opposition from the right wing forces. The university is answerable as to how did these people from outside get the permission to get inside university campus and try to disrupt and vandalise a student gathering? Why were the police trying to question the students rather than the intruders? We will call for a march to meet the VC demanding an answer.”