HC gives 2 weeks on public servants trial

Bench to grant sanction if AP, Telangana delay nod for prosecution
Hyderabad: A division bench comprising Chief Justice Kalyan Jyoti Sengupta and Justice P.V. Sanjay Kumar of the Hyderabad High Court on Monday said that it will grant sanction to prosecute public servants involved in corruption cases, if the Telangana and AP governments fail to accord sanction. The bench was dealing with two PILs by O.M. Debara, a resident of the city and P.V. Krishnaiah, a practicing advocate of the High Court, against the liquor syndicates scam.
Mr Ravikiran Rao, special prosecutor appearing for the Anti Corruption Bureau of both the states, submitted that the sanction order were issued against public servants involved in the liquor syndicate scam and that sanctions were awaited in three cases from the Telangana government and in two cases from the AP government. They are not connected to the liquor scam.
He said the ACB has submitted final reports to the government regarding corruption cases against M. Balaji Naiak, assistant commandant of special police battalion of Nalgonda, SI Srinivasa Rao and Chinna Malakondaiah, a constable of Hyderabad city and M. Rajasekhara Reddy, former general manager of the municipal administration department. The TS government is yet to accord permission.
He told the court the ACB is yet to receive sanction orders from the AP government to launch prosecution against C. Shanthi Swaroop, a forest range officer and K. Venkat Rao and Suryanarayana, officers of the revenue department. He brought to the notice of the court that sanctions have been pending since four years.
Reacting to the submissions of the ACB counsel, the bench sought to know the reasons from the counsels of both the states the reason for the delay in granting sanction for prosecution. The counsels representing the advocate generals urged the court to grant two weeks to place the stands of the governments before court. Observing that further delay cannot be tolerated, the bench granted two weeks to the governments.
Osmania varsity fined Rs 25,000
Justice C.V. Nagarjuna Reddy of the Hyderabad HC has imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on Osmania University for its apathy regarding the academic career of a student. The judge expressed dismay at the attitude of the OU controller of examination in dealing with a representation made by the student allegedly involved in malpractice.
The judge was dealing with a plea by B. Sneha, a student of the MJ College of Engineering. The judge pointed out “shockingly, the controller has dealt with the cases of 48 students without examining the nature of the malpractice alleged against them, their explanations, the evidence and the conclusions drawn by him.” Finding fault with the varsity authorities the judge allowed the petition and set aside its decision.