Ganta Srinivasa Rao urges alumni to help rebuild Hudhud-hit Andhra University

Ganta proposed to conduct alumni meet every year on October 12

Visakhapatnam: The Andhra University received lukewarm response from its alumni in a meet organised on Sunday by AP human resource department minister Ganta Srinivasa Rao that intended to gain financial support for rebuilding the varsity campus, which was devastated during the recent cyclone.

HRD minister Mr Ganta Srinivasa Rao, who organised the Sunday’s meet, proposed to conduct alumni meet every year on October 12 and appealed to the alumni and other well-wishers of the varsity to consider it as a social responsibility to support their alma mater.

Addressing the gathering at Y.V.S Murthy auditorium on Sunday, the minister stressed upon the need for a strategic action plan for restoring normalcy in the campus.

He also said he had requested other varsities in the state too, to extend their support to the Andhra University.

Legislator P. Vishnukumar Raju, who participated in the event, expressed his solidarity and announced Rs 1 lakh contribution.

Vice-Chancellor Prof. G.S.N. Raju said they had estimated a loss of Rs 233 cr due to cyclone and said they would plant 50,000 saplings in the campus with the support of students, who would further take the responsibility of protecting them.

Vice-Chancellor of Adikavi Nannaya Varsity Prof. P. George Victor announced Rs 50 lakh assistance to Andhra University on behalf of the staff members, who donated two-days’ salary. The VC himself donated Rs 30,000 personally to rebuid the Andhra University campus, ravaged by Cyclone Hudhud.

CEO of Symbiosys O. Naresh Kumar, correspondent of AU School B. Prasad Rao, former mayor Rajana Ramani, head of TSR-TBK educational institutions Kankatala Mallik, Balaramakrishna Murthy, Ravindra from Alwardas institutions, Dr Vidya Sundaram, V.J. Gupta, Anand, De Souza; Ch. Satyanarayana, old students of MBA donated Rs 1 lakh each.

S.V. Vedic University and Dravida University also assured to support the cause. Former VCs, legislators and retired teaching and non-teaching members, and old students also were also present on Sunday’s meet.