Longest wall graffiti in state at school

Depicts evolution of human civilization in all its aspects
PATHANAMTHITTA: The credit for the longest wall graffiti in the State goes to the one at Model Residential Boys School under the Scheduled Tribes department in Vadasserikkara.
The graffiti with the theme ‘Insight’ was drawn by students on the school walls covering an area of 85 sq metres. The painting depicts the evolution of human civilization in its all aspects, starting from ancient cave paintings to the picture of Mangalyaan over Mars.
The school with a student strength of 160, has employed ‘Chirakukal’, a multi-level intervention project envisaged to develop the mental, physical, academic and sporting skills of students.
“We aim to promote a sense of belonging among the students. It also helps to boost their unity by inducing group activity which will kill all negative thoughts and attitudes”, said Dr Sriram Venkitaraman, Assistant Collector of Pathanamthitta and one of the mentors of the programme.
“We observed that many students could draw well with charcoal. We wanted to develop such skills and find out the potential in each student,” he added.
The authorities conducted a spot drawing competition and a two-day workshop to select 40 students with artistic talents. These students were assisted by 22 artists from the Aranmula Vasthuvidya Gurukulam, under the leadership of eminent mural artist Suresh Muthukulam for creating the graffiti.
“We chose wall paintings because they are a derivation of one of the primitive forms of communication, the cave paintings that came much before the development of language. Though it at first turned out to be the monopoly of the upper class in the form of temple art, these paintings have now come back to their roots”, said Dr Sriram said.