Coimbatore college students gherao collector

As many as 117 protesting students were picked up after a high drama outside the Collectorate
Coimbatore: Tension prevailed at the Collectorate on Monday as over hundred students of CBM college tried to break through the police cordon and storm into the District Collector’s office here on Monday demanding that the Government take over their private college.
As many as 117 protesting students were picked up after a high drama outside the Collectorate.
The protesting students claimed that their studies were affected as the college lacked basic infrastructure and 22 teaching posts were lying vacant. “Around 22 vacancies of teaching staff remain un filled. Our college also doesn’t have basic infrastructure facilities like proper toilets and quality teachers,” said a post graduate girl student.
The students have been on a strike for over the last 28 days pressing for the issue. “Even if we drop the stir and go back to college, classes won’t be held due to absence of teachers. The government officials, who hold talks with our representatives, also threaten us to withdraw protests.
They hardly do anything concrete to find a solution to the issue,” said another student.
The students assembled near the railway station and marched towards the Collector office shouting slogans. However, a large number of cops, who were deployed anticipating trouble, prevented students from entering into the Collectorate premises.
Barricades were positioned to stop the protesting students. Tension prevailed when students attempted to break through the police cordon and enter the premises. The cops then shoved the students into the police vehicle. Girls could be seen crying and a few students who swooned were rushed to hospital.
Later, the police removed around 117 students, including 96 girls, in a police vehicle and lodged them in a marriage hall. When queried, Joint Director of Collegiate Education, Coimbatore G Jagadesan said that they have forwarded the students' proposal to the government.
"It is a policy decision that has to be taken by the government," he said.