School children offer movie for orphanage buddies

The orphaned children enjoyed a morning show of “Money Ratnam”

ALAPPUZHA: Demonstrating that its never too early to set off on the path of charity and giving to those in need, a group of students from the Brightland Discovery School gave a morning of fun and entertainment to 55 inmates of St. Antony’s Orphanage here.

The orphaned children enjoyed a morning show of “Money Ratnam” starring Alappuzha’s own Fahad Fazil Saturday last, thanks to the generosity of the school children.

“It was a special day for our students. The idea came up as part of Daan Utsav, India’s biggest celebration of giving,” said Ms Usha Venkitesh, principal, Brightland Discovery School, explaining that her students bore all the expense of the movie show for the inmates of the orphanage.

“Each of the children had a buddy from among our students and they sat together in the theatre for the movie. We want to teach every child how to be humane to help this country prosper. Our school has always encouraged helping others in need and growing together.

We will continue our efforts to make our students responsible and committed to this cause along with their parents,” she added. One of the parents, Parvathy , who took part in the programme, was very keen on taking care of every child both in and out of the theatre.

“The children became buddies very quickly after they met. Spending time together during the interval, over hundred students from both sides analysed the movie and laughed as they recalled the funny scenes. I think the effort helped bring a little bit joy into everyone’s day,” she said with satisfaction.

A student, Ann Mary, said she was proud of watching the film with their buddies from the orphanage. “We will not let them feel like orphans. We want to help them learn and grow with us. We will encourage all our friends to spread this message,” she vowed.