Animation flicks will guide students in government schools

Direct animation films to explain lessons like algebra, atomic structure and grammar to students

Chennai: Teachers in government schools in Tamil Nadu will direct animation films to explain lessons like algebra, atomic structure and grammar to students. The state school education department has identified 120 tech savvy teachers who will convert ‘tough’ portions in Science, English and Math into animation movies. Officials in the State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT) said trained teachers will share the resources and add animation movies to the digital library, which would be accessed by all teachers for use in their classrooms.

J.F. Paul Edwin Roy, 50, teaching at the panchayat union middle school at Rakipatty village in Salem district has assiduously designed an animation movie on properties of magnets using Flash software. Roy hopes that his students will get “interested and involved” in the classroom as the animation lessons would make it easier for them to learn how opposite poles attract each other and same poles of two magnets repel.

“I am mastering Flash and Adobe premiere pro software,” Roy said excitedly. He has the mail IDs of his trainers and co-teachers to share the animation movies he has created. Several teachers like Roy are excited about the innovative teaching techniques and sharing related photos with Whatsapp groups. Teacher S.Uma Maheswari converted algebra and matrix in class ten syllabus into a colourful graphic and animation movie. “I have prepared lessons and question papers in power point, Flash and Hot Potato software. The myth that algebra is tough will be dispelled using these new multimedia tools,” she said.

State coordinator R. Asir Julis of the educational content server department said animation movies created by teachers would be uploaded on the ‘Educational Content Server’ website. “We have set a target of creating 10,000 contents for the digital library this year. This would enable teachers across the state to download the visual content and teach lessons with ease,” he told this newspaper.