Telugu students fear retaliation from locals

The Manipuri students have set up some ‘unwritten rules’ in the college campus.

Hyderabad: Students from Telangana and Andhra Pradesh studying in National Institute of Technology, in Manipur, said that the threat from the local students is very common and they have to live in constant fear, throughout their course, on the campus.

“The situation turned uglier, with the interference of the Chief Minister and security forces,” said B. Ravi Teja, a second year student of electronics and communication.

The situation now is peaceful in the campus; however, students fear that when they go out of the campus, they will be attacked.

“The local cops are biased against us. They were selectively beating up the students from other states than Manipur,” said another student from Prakasam district.

The Manipuri students have set up some ‘unwritten rules’ in the college campus to control the non-local students. “We are asked not to go out of the campus before 10.30 am and after 6 pm,” said Ravi.

The worried parents have decided to seek help from the Chief Ministers of both the states as well as the Prime Minister.

“We are requesting the CMs to shift our children to Warangal NIT or to any other NIT,” said B. Laxmi Narasimhulu, father of Ravi.

Manipur government asks parents not to worry

Manipur home department’s principal secretary J. Suresh Babu requested the parents of the Telugu students, studying in National Institute of Technology, Manipur, not to worry over the clashes between the Telugu students and the locals.

Assuring the parents Mr Suresh Babu said the Chief Minister already interacted with the students. The police ADG and SP are visiting the campus twice in a day.

He said the government has separated local and non-local students on two campuses.