Human Resource Development not promoting saffron agenda: Smriti Irani

The minister emphasised on the introduction of new education policy for the country

New Delhi: Rejecting allegations that the Union human resource development ministry was trying to promote the saffron agenda by pushing books written by Hindutva ideologues, Union HRD minister Smriti Irani stated that the ministry will abide by “constitutional modalities” before taking any step.

Presenting her ministry’s 100 days work, the minister emphasised on the introduction of new education policy for the country, the “deliberations with all stakeholders on the issue are expected to begin from January next year”.

She indicated that a review of the Right to Education and Sarva Siksha Abhiyan programme would be done soon for efficient implementation of the programmes.

She also said that the next meeting of the Central Advisory Board of Education will examine the no-detention policy in classes after a report was submitted for a panel on the issue.

The HRD minister expressed concern over incidents of ragging and said messages have been sent to all schools to take strong actions against those found involved.

To a question on whether her ministry would be introducing books written by alleged RSS ideologue Dinanath Batra and which are taught in classes in Gujarat, she said these were mere reports.

“You are trying to create a controversy based on these reports. I had said in Parliament that whatever step we take, whether in school education or higher education, they will be taken within constitutional modalities and responsibilities.”

Mr Batra has sent proposals regarding revamp of school curriculum inculcating ‘values and nationalism’ in students to the HRD minister after she assumed office.

He had also courted controversy for having American scholar Wendy Doniger’s book pulped on grounds that it insulted Hindus.

Laying stress on girls education, Ms Irani said her government was committed to provide friendly environment in schools for them and said steps are being taken to realise Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s vision of having girls toilets in schools by July next year.

On the address of Prime Minister Narendra Modi to students on Teachers’ Day, she said “More than 9.51 crore students in over 8.5 lakh schools watched Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s interaction with students on Teachers’ Day. The exact number of students who watched the September 5 event featuring the Prime Minister is 9,51,51,534, according to reports so far submitted by the states.”