Plea to open more medical colleges

There was a huge shortage of seats in several streams of higher education, particularly medicine
Vellore: VIT University chancellor Dr G. Viswanathan has urged the Union government to allocate funds to create more medical colleges in the country to accommodate deserving candidates now deprived of seats and also prevent draining of foreign exchange spent by students joining higher education institutions abroad.
Lamenting that there was a huge shortage of seats in several streams of higher education, particularly medicine, he said, “We can prevent the drain of Rs 90,000 crore to Rs 1 lakh crore to the universities abroad if only we increase the number of higher educational institutions in India.”
Delivering his opening remarks at the VIT’s 29th convocation here on Saturday, Dr Viswanathan delved deep into the dichotomy of the Indian education system, particularly the engineering segment. The country has 700 universities and over 37,000 colleges with 2.8 crore students. Yet, the gross enrolment ratio is less than 20 per cent and a Nasscom study has said only 20 per cent of the engineering graduates are employable.
“The government should train all the graduates to make them employable,” said Dr Viswanathan. “We, at VIT University, train students in all skills to make them industry-ready. We have been setting records in placing highest number of students every year. Limca Book of Records has recognised our record,” he said.
VIT vice-presidents Sankar Viswanathan, Sekar Viswanathan and G.V. Selvam, besides vice-chancellor Prof V. Raju took part in the convocation.