School turns Modi address to project in Kerala

Kochi school turns it into opportunity

Kochi: Even as controversies continue to rock the Teachers’ Day address by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, a CBSE school in Kochi quickly turned it into an opportunity to test the skills of students rather than going into the political merits and demerits of the address.
The Al-Ameen Public School at Edappally, a minority institution run by the Al-Ameen Educational Trust, gave it as a project to a section of students under the continuous and comprehensive evaluation (CCE) process of the CBSE.
“Students from class six to ten come under the CCE and we asked them to listen to the speech either at home or at school and come out with a write-up on it after Onam. This will be used for assessing their listening, comprehension and writing skills under CCE. Each skill is given marks out of 10,” said Lekshmi Haridas, Principal, Al-Ameen Public School.
More than that, it will be included in the class magazines brought out by the school, she said. “They have been asked to write down all that they have understood. Since CBSE schools have Hindi as a subject from lower classes, many of them were somewhat able to understand the speech and interaction. They can also seek help from their parents. It certainly is an opportunity to test some of their co-curricular skills,” she said.
Al-Ameen Educational Trust chairman and president of the Kerala CBSE School Management Association T. P. M. Ibrahim Khan said they were not interested in controversies. “We have done this voluntarily. Narendra Modi is the Prime Minister and when he addresses students it should be turned into an opportunity to help them. CCE is the apt tool to be employed in such contexts. We also make Onam and Eid celebrations subjects for CCE assessment,” he said.