Bengaluru rape case: Unease as Vibgyor school reopens

Most students arrived smiling and waving at the media crew parked outside school campus

Bengaluru: “All I can see are CCTV cameras and wherever I go, I find only women attendants. I am not able to concentrate on my classes,” said a student of Vibgyor High, Marathahalli which reopened Monday after 13 days amidst tight security to reassure students and their parents that it had their safety in mind following the alleged rape of a class I student in its premises.

Read: Back to a school full of prying eyes

Most students arrived smiling and waving at the media crew parked outside the school campus, while tens of anxious parents stood near the school gate, charging the government with being hand in glove with the management.

Read: Tight security measures meet with approval at Vibgyor school

“One offender is still at large and those who destroyed key evidence are running the show. Who can guarantee the safety of our children?” they asked the policemen providing security to the school.

Meanwhile, education department officials said attendance was moderate on day 1. “School will be shut for Eid on Tuesday. It will take at least a week for normalcy to return,” said an officer.

School for profit

The first of three private schools have opened a branch near Marathahalli expecting a mass exodus from Vibgyor High, according to the locals. “Three schools offering a ICSE/ISC syllabus in the locality have informed anxious parents that they have vacancies in all classes from kindergarten to Class X,” revealed a parent, adding that the only issue holding them back was getting a refund of the high fees already paid to Vibgyor. “Many parents have already decided to remove their children from the school as others are willing to receive them with open arms,’ he said.