Kerala University formulates green charter

Effort to address local societal demand for conservation

Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala University has approved the proposal to adopt a ‘Green Charter’ to address the local societal demand for environmental conservation.

The charter has stated that no plastic-wrapped bouquets, plastic wrapping of mementos, plastic confetti or ‘kodithoranam’ (decorations) will be used in the functions organised by the university.

The monoculture of acacia on Karyavattom campus will be gradually replaced with a variety of trees aimed at preserving and enhancing the biodiversity of the campus.

The charter was published as part of the efforts to get NAAC accreditation to the university. The minutes of NAAC steering committee which approved the adoption of the ‘Green Charter’ stated that the university community will consider the green aspects and address them suitably in every activity, including academic, research, extension and administrative. All new buildings will be constructed as green buildings, which minimise artificial lighting and air-conditioning, the charter said.

The directives for the effective implementation of the ‘Green Charter’ have also suggested that plastic files and plastic pens should not be distributed in seminars and conferences. Another suggestion was on minimising the use of flex sheets and to ensure cloth base in case they are used.

The charter was also against using plastic sheets in dissertations to overlay title pages. Assignments and brief reports submitted by students shall also avoid the use of plastic covers. Spirals, if used, have to be recycled. Research and project proposals submitted to funding agencies should also not use plastic covers.

The charter also encouraged the reuse of envelops. Plastic cups and plates and thermocol plates should not be used in public functions.

The university will promote good food culture and create awareness against the use of junk food and carbonated soft drinks on the campus. Plastic-packed materials will be discouraged and ethnic food will be promoted. Bottled water will be used only when absolutely essential.

The communication of administrative and academic matters will be increasingly transferred to electronic means, reducing the use of paper and at the same time creating awareness about carbon emission associated with e-mails, search engines and social networking facilities.