Students' families natives of Telangana prior to 1956 eligible for fee reimbursement, scholarships

'The state governments have rights over deciding residential embargo'

Hyderabad: Only students whose families were natives of Telangana prior to 1956 will be eligible to avail fee reimbursement and scholarships for professional courses from this year.

The Telangana Cabinet on Wednesday approved 1956 as the cut-off year to determine the nativity of Telangana students.

Disclosing the details of a prolonged Cabinet meeting at a press conference late on Wednesday night, Chief Minister K. Chandrasekhar Rao clarified that the 1956 nativity cut-off would be applicable only for students to avail fee reimbursement and scholarships and would not apply for jobs.

Mr Rao justified 1956 as the cut-off year; he pointed out that 1956 was the year when the Hyderabad state was merged with Andhra to form Andhra Pradesh.

“A committee will be set up with officials of finance, social welfare and education departments. They will finalise the modalities on the certificates or proofs that students need to submit to avail the benefits. The modalities will be issued shortly,” he said.

Asked whether the cut-off year will stand judicial scrutiny, Mr Rao said, “The state has every right to decide who is eligible to avail the scheme or not.

There have been court judgments in this favour earlier. There is a judgement which says the state governments have rights over deciding residential embargo.”