Beas tragedy: Family of students who died to get Rs 5 lakh each

Himachal Pradesh CM Virbhadra Singh says no to memorial for Hyderabad students

Mandi: The Himachal Pradesh High Court on Wednesday ordered Rs 5 lakhs will be given as compensation to the family of each student who died in the Beas tragedy. While Rs 2.5 lakh will be paid by the Larji project while the college will pay the rest.

Read: Beas tragedy: 3 students’ bodies brought to Hyderabad

The order was passed by the court over a PIL initiated on basis of newspaper reports in a suo moto action.

A division bench comprising Chief Justice Mansoor Ahmad Mir and Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan announced the order after VNR Vignana Jyothi college and the state government filed a status report in connection with the case.

The criminal investigation into the case, which has already been initiated, will be monitored by the High Court.

Read: Families for Beas victims return

Meanwhile, Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh said there was no need for a memorial in honour of engineering students from Hyderabad who were swept away by gushing waters in river Beas on June 8.

Singh was replying to a query on Telangana Forest minister Jogu Ramannas proposal to raise a memorial for 24 students and a tour operator.

“What happened in river Beas was gruesome but such accidents have been taking place in the past. We cannot allow to have a memorial in every case,” Virbhadra said. “They can at the most put up a plaque,” he told media persons here.

Read: No negligence behind Beas river tragedy, says Himachal Pradesh CM