Telugus sweep top ranks in IIT

Bifurcation will not impact IIT admissions as they are done at the national-level

Hyderabad: The total number of qualifiers for IITs this year increased significantly. There were 3,200 qualifiers last year in the united state.

However, the All India first rank went to Rajasthan this year. United AP has bagged this spot at least three times in the last five years.

The top 10 rankers in the open category from AP and Telangana are Chinthakindi Sai Chetan (2nd rank), Ravuru Lohith (4th rank), Chennareddy Jayanth Shankar (5th rank), Nandigam Pavan Kumar (9th rank) and Vuppunuthala Yashwanth Reddy (10th rank).

These are the first IIT results announced after bifurcation. However, bifurcation will not impact IIT admissions as they are done at the national-level based on merit and there are no quotas for individual states, unlike NITs.

Second ranker Mr Chetan hails from Mahbubnagar, fourth ranker Mr Lohith is from Chittoor, fifth ranker Shankar is from Hyderabad, ninth ranker Mr Pavan Kumar is from Hyderabad and tenth ranker Mr Reddy is from Nalgonda. However, since both Mr Chetan and Mr Yeshwanth Reddy live in Hyderabad and studied at Narayana Sri Chaitanya, in effect, Hyderabad students bagged four of the top-10 ranks.

Telugu students swept all the top ranks from 11 to 20, barring 13 and 19.

The 11th rank was bagged by K. Uday (Kurnool), N. Diwakar Reddy (12th rank, Kurnool), Veera Venkata Sathish (14th rank, Kakinada), Nikhil Kumar (15th rank) and V. Pramod (16th rank, Vijayawada), Aditya Vardhan (17th rank, Vizag), Chanakya Vardhan Reddy (18th rank, Vijayawada) and M. Sai Aravind (20th rank, Hyderabad), all students of Narayana Sri Chaitanya.

“Despite the political turmoil over bifurcation, our students performed exceedingly well. This is the best ever performance by Telugu students in JEE so far. Out of 19,000 students who qualified across the country, 4,600 are Telugu students from both the states,” said Narayana Sri Chaitanya IIT Academy director A. Krishna Kumar.