K Chandrashekhar Rao sends panel to Himachal Pradesh

CM asks Himachal authorities to give all facilities to students’ parents

Hyderabad: Telangana home minister Nayani Narasimha Reddy, Greyhounds SP Karthikeyan and revenue principal secretary B.R. Meena will leave for Himachal Pradesh early on Monday to monitor rescue operations, where about 25 students from the city-based VNR Vignana Jyothi Engineering College were feared to have been washed away due to flash flood in the Beas river near Mandi.

Telangana Chief Minister K. Chandrashekar Rao directed the three-member committee to leave for the accident spot immediately and speed up rescue operations in coordination with Himachal Pradesh government.

The news of tragic incident broke out while the state Cabinet was meeting at Secretariat.

Chief Secretary Rajiv Sharma told reporters that the rescue operations will begin early on Monday. He said that he had spoken to Mandi Senior SP over the incident who assured that divers will be roped in for taking up rescue operations.

“We were informed that 18 male and 6 female students were washed away in the river. The Mandi SSP told they will begin rescue operations early on Monday. Divers will be roped in besides staff from nearby hydro electric plant will also be deployed,” he said.

The chief secretary said that Mr Rao had directed them to provide all the facilities including accommodation to students and their parents who come to Mandi and entire expenditure will be borne from the CM’s Relief Fund.

The CM has also directed the CS to be in touch with his counter part of Himachal Pradesh to expedite the rescue operations. He has also instructed the Resident Commissioner, New Delhi to coordinate with the Himachal Pradesh government.