Parents upset over unruly behaviour by test officials

AIIMS officials asked students to remove wrist watch, handkerchief and water bottles

Kochi: The Kaloor Model Technical Higher Secondary school under the IHRD here witnessed uproarious scenes on Sunday when a section of students and parents got agitated over the conduct of the entrance exam of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Delhi at the school.

The parents and students got agitated when two officials deputed by AIIMS from Delhi who, assisted by police constables deputed there, asked the candidates to the entrance exam to remove their wrist watches and even handkerchief and water bottles.

Though the students and parents tried to convince them that these things were not banned as per hall ticket instructions and the instruction put on the compound wall of the school, the officials did not budge. This resulted in heated verbal exchanges.

“The students were shattered with this approach of the AIIMS authorities. When they needed peace of mind to face the exam, they were treated in the most abrasive manner,” said Paul, a parent from Perumbavoor.

He said even the Aadhar card of a child was thrown away by the authorities at the gate and it was torn in the melee. “They wanted proof of identity and hence the Aadhar card was brought, but then this treatment was meted out,” he said

At the end of the exam, the copies of Aadhar cards and covers and other certificate copies were strewn in the compound of the school.

Most of the students came at 8 am as stipulated but the school gates were not open then resulting in a traffic jam on the road where Metro works were going on. Ernakulam was the only place in the state for the exam and there were four exam centres in the district.

Later, the two officials from Delhi said that they enforced the instructions given to them and did not behave in an abrasive manner.