CET 2014 results: Bangalore students stand tall

Students from rural areas fell by wayside while city students grabbed all top rankings

Bengaluru: This year hundreds of engineering colleges who are facing an acute shortage of students can hope for better times, thanks to the high-quality CET results announced on Tuesday. According to the data released by the KEA, in 2012 only 78,694 students were allotted the engineering rank. It was increased to 91,808 in 2013. But this year a record number of 96,161 students have secured engineering rankings, which is good news for colleges having a lot of unfilled seats. Speaking to this newspaper, owner of a moderate engineering college informed us that the entry of 5,000 more eligible students will give a boost to 50 colleges with a poor admission ratio. “Generally low-ranking students prefer ordinary colleges which have a shortage of students. We hope that this year there will not be many vacant seats,” he observed.

Systematic seat allotment process
Meanwhile for the first time, the state government has brought under a single roof, admission to all the professional courses in the state. This has been done both in government-run colleges and government quota seats in private unaided colleges. According to the KEA officials, this year B Pharma, Pharma-D seats will also be filled up through the KEA. “Last year courses like BVSc, B.Sc (agri), B Tech (Food), B.Tech (Agri) were brought under the ambit of CET cell. This means the admission process in all the professional colleges in the state are now done through KEA in a very transparent way,” he said.

More successful students
According to officials, compared to previous years, this time the number of successful students in all the streams is higher. “It is a happy sign. We hope there will not be any shortage of seats as thousands of seats were available in various streams which would be filled up through CET,” he explained.

State board students perform well
According to officials, in medical as well as the engineering stream, the state board students have bagged most of the top ranks. In the medical field they have got 9 out of the first 10 ranks and in engineering, 7 out of the first 10 ranks went to students from the state board. “CET question paper pattern is prepared as per the state board syllabus. That may be one of the reasons for this,” he informed.

Chemistry tough
According to the students, the Chemistry question paper has played a decisive role in the CET final rank list. “ The Chemistry paper was very tough. Many of my friends who had scored 100/100 in the final examination chemistry paper scored low marks in chemistry. There were a couple of wrong questions, which added to the misery of the students,” said Mr. Shrinivasa Bhat, a CET student.