Re-exam likely for PG medicine admissions

Students had complained of question paper leakage and large scale irregularities in the results

Hyderabad: The state government is likely to conduct a re-exam for PG medical admissions for the coming academic year, 2014-15, after being hit by controversy. Students complained of question paper leakage and large-scale irregularities in the results announced recently by the NTR. University of Health Sciences.

The state government appointed a committee to inquire into the issue following the directions of Governor E.S.L. Narasimhan. The committee is likely to recommend a re-test to clear doubts among students.

Inquiry committee chairman Prof. L. Venugopala Reddy, also the chairman of the Andhra Pradesh State Council of Higher Education, said that the committee will submit its report to the government in a week. Prof. Reddy has been receiving complaints from students at the public hearings held at the Nagarjuna University since March 20.

“We have received a lot of complaints from students regarding irregularities during the examination. Though the students could not submit any concrete evidence to support their complaints, it is clear that there are many doubts surrounding the entire exam process. We will incorporate these issues in our report and make suitable recommendations,” said Prof. Reddy.

Official sources said the committee is in favour of conducting a re-examination to remove the doubts of the students in a transparent manner and to avoid legal hassles in future.

Officials also said that that the Medical Council of India follows strict norms regarding the schedule for admissions, and any delay would jeopardise the entire admission process, particularly if students approach courts challenging the exams and results.