Classroom: Butterflies of imagination at science meet

Little Naveen explored the wild ways of Nilambur forest to make his discoveries.

Pookkodu(Wayanad): Age is just a number, proves Naveen Prasad, the 12-year-old child prodigy who presented a paper at the ongoing 26th edition of the Kerala Science Congress on his findings on two new species of butterflies that he spotted for the first time in the forest areas in Nilambur, Malappuram.

He became an instant hero among the scientific fraternity, rubbing shoulders with more than 1,800 researchers and scientists who probably had kids or grandchildren his age.

The crowd was astonished at the way the boy presented himself and his findings and also with the scientific precision with which he carried out his research.

At the end of the presentation, a dumbstruck judging panel had only one question, which demonstrated their curiosity to know what the boy genius would be doing in future rather than raising a doubt regarding his presentation.

Naveen’s answer also came in no time. “I want to convert my passion into a serious profession and want to explore more hidden beauties flying around my native Nilambur and elsewhere,” he said amidst loud applause from the crowd.

After his 15-minute presentation, Naveen said that it was indeed a big challenge for him to address the scientists and researchers sitting before him.

“I have poured out everything I found out regarding these butterflies during my research over the last three years,” Naveen said.When children his age thronged playgrounds with footballs, Naveen trod the wild paths of the Nilambur forest areas, often with the eyes of a curious child and occasionally with the zest of a mature scientist.

When colours that were not common flashed before his eyes one day, the scientist in him was quick to dig deep. He then researched to find out that it was the first spotting of these butterflies belonging to the Hesperiodea (Skippers) family in the Nilambur area.

Apart from spotting the Blank Swift and Conjoined Swift, both belonging to the Hesperiodea sub-family, Swift, he had also found out the larval plants of these butterflies inside the Nilambur forest.

Naveen took pictures of 56 varieties of the butterflies he had found in his native land.

He has been guided by Dr Anoop Das from Mampad MES College and Muhammed Jafer Pallot of the Zoological Survey of India to present his paper at the Science Congress. Naveen will have another feather in his cap as his research paper will soon be published in a scientific magazine.

When the Science Congress in Wayanad entered the second day, the prominence of the student researchers aged below 30 years was highlighted as more than half the papers presented were by them.

Next: Students give Jacob a parting shot

Students give Jacob a parting shot

Nadeesh Kareemadathil | DC

Thrissur: K.L Jacob, the headmaster of St Sebastian High School, Mandamangalam, never expected such a loving gift from his students on the eve of his retirement.

A teacher who had been an inspiration to hundreds of students for over 35 years, he commanded a great deal of love and respect. Hence, the teacher’s retirement became a memorable moment for the school, when his students presented him a book on the life of Mahatma Gandhi.

“Gandhi Margam, Nammude Jeevithathil” (The way of Gandhiism in our Life). Interestingly, this book was not purchased from a bookshop, but was written and published by students of the school.

“Our love for our headmaster and the inspiration we derived from the activities of Gandhi Dharshan Samithi, a student club on the Gandhian way of life, were what motivated us to bring out this book”, said N.J.Sangeetha, who has also contributed to the book. “It‘s been our endeavour to carry Gandhiji’s life and message to students, who have a lot of exposure to knowledge and technology. We hope this book will help all of us to chip in for a better India”, she said.

Next: ‘Pupils are less concerned about the board exam’

‘Pupils are less concerned about the board exam’

Elizabeth Thomas | DC

Kochi: With board examinations around the corner many institutions are conducting special seminars for students to reduce stress before examinations. What is the significance of such classes? "I would say they are necessary because the current generation takes everything for granted.

They are not very good in studies. It can be because of food habits or lifestyle. They are less concerned about the board exam which is the turning point in their life. That’s why there is the need for special classes”, says Jean Tom, director of S Com Coaching Centre in Edappally.

It is not just about studies. According to teachers, students live in such a different world that they are not aware of the good habits to be followed in a society and in an exam hall.

"I was astonished to see the way students behaved before the external invigilator during practicals. They were not bothered about the fact that their marks were in the hands of an invigilator and they must respect him. This propelled me to conduct a seminar for students as well as for their parents in my institution because parents have a role in moulding their children. If they have no time for that, there is no point in conducting these classes”, adds Jean.

Pre-examination classes for students and parents would help instill self-discipline and self confidence among students and motivate them to take examinations seriously, he said. It would also help them to do a self-assessment before examinations, he added.

Trainers opine that it is the lack of parental interest that causes children to become criminals.

The parents who were busy with their job and were partying had no time to look after their kids.

Parents believed that if they had money, they could get a seat in any reputed college for their child. That thinking has to be changed, trainers felt.

Next: Swathantrya for a cause

Swathantrya for a cause

Hiran Unnikrishnan | DC

Thrissur: It began as a simple program by these kids to help their friends, who were differently- abled. One thing led to another and before they knew it, the whole school was planning a programme of epic dimensions with as many as 500 dancers on stage.

To support a rehabilitation programme for children with disabilities, students of the Devamatha CMI public school in Thrissur staged a Malayalam dance drama production 'Swathantrya’ at the Lulu Convention Centre earlier this week. The two and half hour play, staged as a fund collection programme, depicted the country’s rich cultural heritage and its evolution in different ages.

The presentation, which comprised 22 scenes and as many songs in various Indian languages, was scripted and coordinated collectively by the teachers and students themselves. The selected students were also given a two-week long training to sharpen their talents for this venture.

According to Fr. Shaju Edamana, the school principal, the programme was aimed at getting external funding for the project as well as creating a sense about the country’s history among the children.

“A two- teacher team was given the responsibility to direct each of the scenes, which were combined at the end of the rehearsal camp to form the show. In addition to teachers and students, the school’s alumni also helped us in choosing the concept and developing the plot’’, he elaborated.

The scenes ranged from the Indus valley civilization to the arrival of Vasco-De-Gama and the first freedom struggle to Quit India movement.

The funds collected through the shows will go towards the construction of Darshana Veedu, a building coming up near Mannuthy to rehabilitate differently- abled children. The children also plan to follow-up the programme with another coupon collection initiative.
Associates of CMI Devamatha, Devamatha Province and KESS Thrissur are the other agencies involved in the initiative.

Next: Grooming the Salim Alis of the future

Grooming the Salim Alis of the future

Krishna Kumar K E | DC

Kochi: Are you one of those students who get attracted by the chirp of birds or the species they belong to, while going to school or returning home? The forest department has got an opportunity for you to win amazing gifts.

With a view to encourage and create awareness among students on the need for environmental protection, the Kerala Forest Department has launched a ‘Bird Watching Programme’ among school students that requires the participants to regularly record the birds they see.

The programme was launched in the state’s only bird sanctuary, Thatekkad, located between the two branches of Periyar River on the outskirts of Ernakulam district.

“We first selected eight schools in the Kothamangalam region. We then distributed a book ‘Budding Ornithologist Book’ among the students. The book contains pictures of 50 bird species regularly spotted in the state. It also has columns for all days. The student, upon spotting a particular species, should make a tick- mark below it. If he succeeds in spotting any species other than the 50, then he could make a note of it detailing the time, place and characteristics of the bird. We’ll give prizes at the year end to those students who spot the maximum number of bird species,” said Idukki Wildlife Warden K Saji.

Around 250 bird species have been recorded in Thatekkad that includes 14 of the regions’ 20 usual feathered friends. Malabar Grey Hornbill, Malabar Parakeet, Nilgiri Wood Pigeon, White-bellied Treepie, Nilgiri Flycatcher, Grey-headed Bulbul, Wynaad Laughingthrush, Rufous Babbler, Malabar Lark and Crimson-backed Sunbird – the list goes on.

The students need not make a special effort but could try spotting the birds during their journey to and from school. “We’ve also distributed 10 copies of a book on the butterfly species found in the Thatekkad forest. The schools could suggest really interested students and we’ll include them in the survey team for this year’s butterfly census,” the officer said.

The forest department has also replicated the Bird watching programme in Idukki district, distributing a total of 1000 ‘Budding Ornithologist Books’.

Next: Drawing students towards their mother tongue

Drawing students towards their mother tongue

T Sudheesh | DC

Alappuzha: ‘Akshara yathra,’ organized by the State Children Literature Institute and the Cultural Department, has begun its journey to the selected schools, across the district, making students sensitive about Malayalam language. The unique program, which was inaugurated at the SDV School, by Union Minister of State for Civil Aviation, K C Venugopal, will end by February 7.

Prof Nedumudi Harikumar, director, Children Literature Institute, said that as the institute took up the initiative, Malayalam language has got status as a distinguished language.

The program is organized under the institute’s campaign “textbook for all students.” Every student will be given special training to portrait a picture of a single Malayalam letter. By the yathra, the students will be trained to portrait 100 pictures with a single letter of Malayalam language.

For the first time the institute comes up with such a widespread campaign after the Malayalam language got a sacred language status. The yathra will end on February 7, the director said.

Bharanikav Krishnan, the member of the institute and an artist, said, “By conducting drawing classes, the students could be made more confident and loyal to the mother tongue.

Of course, learning various languages is a power, but nobody can deliberately run away from the mother tongue as everyone is molded under the influence of local languages.

The effort will be categorical, to make ways for students, in terms of learning, on how they can manage to respect and love their mother tongue as well as the society.

As the commitment of the institute towards the mother tongue remains intact, we do look for unique ways to make new generation aware of the significance of the language.

We trained them to create caricature of dignitaries with a single letter of Malayalam. The unique event seems to be accepted by students largely,” he said.

Swati S Babu, a student, at SDV School said it was an amazing experience to take part in the program. “I just wondered as to how the master had shown the technique of making drawings of our netas with a single letter. I feel thrilled to continue my exercise to make such drawings,” she said.